- City Notes: A surprise in the streets - Frederick News Post, 9/22/2013
- Georgetown Businesses Swap Parking for Parks Friday - Georgetown Patch, 9/20/2013
- D.C. Parking Spots Become Real Parks For A Day -WAMU 88.5 FM, 9/20/2013
- GUEST POST: CAR FREE DAY -GU Wellness, 9/19/2013
- Park It: Car Free Days September 20th – 22nd - The Neighborhoods of EYA, 9/19/2013
- Picnic in a Park(ing) Spot with NoMa -NoMA News, 9/19/2013
- Car Free Days in DC -Bike and Roll DC, 9/16/2013
- Park(ing) Day: D.C. Parking Spaces Will Be Handed Over for Park Use - Georgetown Patch, 9/15/2013
- Celebrate World Car Free Day - UMBC News, 9/13/2013
- ActioNet Participates in Car Free Days - ActioNet, 9/13/2013
- District of Columbia to Participate in PARK(ing) Day - The District of Columbia, 9/4/2013
- Drivers Brace for "Terrible Tuesday" - The Free Lance-Star, 9/2/2013
- Celebrate Car Free Days DC on September 20 to 22 - Go Montgomery, 8/30/2013
- Terrible Traffic Tuesday Strikes Again September 3 - Alexandria News, 8/30/2013
- Car-free Days registration opens - Frederick News Post, 8/19/2013
- Car Free Days is here again! - goDCgo
- Encourage Your Tenants to Participate in Car Free Days! - AOBA
- Car-Free Days 2013 - Arlington Transportation Partners
- Parking Break - ReadExpress.com, September 20, 2013,
- Car Free Weekend kicks off Friday – WTOP, September 20, 2013
- Car Free, Care Free: How to Get Around in DC – EcoWoman, Washington DC, September 9, 2013
- Pledge today for Car Free Days! - Charles County Connection magazine Sept/Oct 2013
- Car-Free Day set for Sept. 20 – 22 - Baynet.com, August 14, 2013
- Going Car Free Goes Interactive: Learn about Car Free Days on Twitter; Pledge to Go Car Free On-Line - September 20-22, 2013.
- Annual Car Free Day Event to Span Weekend of Sept. 20-22 - TPB Weekly Report, Sept 3, 2013
- Pledge Today for Car Free Days – Free Registration is Now Open!
- Pledge Today for Car Free Days - Southern Maryland News Net, August 10, 2013
Car Free Days 2013 WinnerMs.Gulcan Akgul
Gulcan Akgul is the grand prize raffle winner of an iPad (courtesy Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland and Maryland Transit Administration) for participating in Car Free Days 2013. Gulcan does not own a car and is not planning on getting one. She told us that public transportation is "good enough" in the DC-Metro area. "I don't have much problem with getting around. I use mostly subway and sometimes buses. I moved to Maryland from New York about five months ago. I was driving in New York, but even then, I was in some sort of car-pool agreement with few people that used to study in the same college with me. I think it is very important to be conscious about traffic jams and the pollution that one creates while driving around every day. Besides, it is more expensive. In the U.S., the rate of driving is too high. In most countries, there is one car per household, in the U.S. there is almost one car per individual. It seems convenient to drive, but when you get used to taking advantage of the public transportation, it is also convenient. You get to exercise more by walking to the bus stops or stations, and up and down the stairs. Most importantly, it is the most responsible way of traveling for the environment. We should also make sure that our children appreciate that type of lifestyle. I highly recommend it to everybody.", said Ms. Akgul.
- EDITORIAL: A world without cars: The internal-combustion engine has freed mankind
- Safety and Awareness are Key for Car Free Day 2012
- Bowie Car Free Day Proclamation
- Prince Georges Proclamation.
- uppermarlboro.patch - Sept. 22 is 'Car Free Day'
- wtop.com - Advocates urge D.C. to go car free for a day
- There is Still Time to Pledge to Go Car Free Sign up and Win Great Prizes
- Wall Street Journal (Market Watch) Get Out & Explore DC With Car-Free Day September 22nd
- Beat the High Price of Gas by Going Car Free on September 22
- NewsChannel8 NewsTalk program discusses Car Free Day (4th video from top)
- The Extra Mile: Car Free Day Is Coming Up Soon
- VIRGINIA MEGA PROJECTS
- Car Free Day Pledge Site Now Open! Drivers Invited to Pledge to go Car Free or Car-Lite on Saturday, September 22
Car Free Day 2012 Winner
James Miller shows off his new iPad, donated by Base Technologies. Jim has a car free lifestyle and uses a combination of transit, carpooling and walking to get around.
- Car-Free Day organizers in DC say thousands have pledged to find an alternative to their car
- Record-breaking Car Free Day shows growing interest in alternatives to driving
- Car-Free Day inspires commuters to ride or walk
- Car-Free Day rolls in on Thursday
- D.C. Metro Area Encouraged to Go Car Free: Thousands have pledged to walk, bike or take the bus to work on Thursday
- Record Numbers To Go "Car Free”
- Local Universities, Businesses Participate in Car Free Day
- Walking, biking, mass transit encouraged for Thursday's car-free day
- “World Car Free Day” Gets Support of 8000 + DC Residents
- Dr.Gridlock – Car Free Day
- Flippin' Pizza Wants You To Go Car Free Sept. 22
- University encourages Car Free Day for employees, students
- Momentum is building for Car Free Day
- “World Car Free Day” Gets Support of 8000 + DC Residents
- Dr. Gridlock – Car Free Day
- Nearly 12,000 Go Car Free or Car-Lite
- With More Than a Week Still To Go, Car Free Day Breaks Pledge Record
- DC Area Universities Join Together to Promote Environmental Stewardship
Five Schools Compete for Pledges in Region’s Annual Car-Free Day Even
- Take the Pledge to go Car Free or Car-Lite on September 22
- All Drivers Commuter Connections Announces Car Free Registration Now Open!
Car Free Day 2011 Grand Prize Winners!
|Winner Camille Dixon||Camille Dixon shows off her new 64GB iPad, donated by Base Technologies. Camille used Capital Bikeshare to get around on Car Free Day.|
|Winner John Clinton||John Clinton was the 2011 Car Free Day Grand Prize winner of a Kona bicycle, courtesy of BicycleSPACE. www.bicyclespacewdc.com|
Car Free Day 2010 Grand Prize Winners!
|Yunuen Hernandez won a bicycle courtesy of Kona Bicycles and the BicycleSPACE.||“Three years ago I decided to move to an apartment exactly one mile away from the closest Metro station. Therefore, my daily commute to work included a mile walk and a metro ride mornings and evenings. At the time, I didn’t realize how beneficial this short commute became to my health, my pocket and the planet. This short walk kept me active even in winter time and through my pregnancy. In addition, after my son was born, it helped me get back to my original weight. In the mornings, I enjoy not having to look for a parking spot or spending unnecessary money on parking and gas. Since I had always been a fairly good “no-car” commuter, last year I decided to pledge to be car-free for one day. I sent my pledge E-mail and that morning I left the car at home, as every morning, walked to the metro station and took the train to work and back. To my surprise, a few days later I received an E-mail saying that I had won a bicycle due to my “car-free pledge”. I was so excited; I got a brand new “Kona” bicycle! Today, I alternate my normal commute by walking or riding the bicycle to the Metro station and of course, overall my social conscience is clean because I am not contaminating our planet by driving every day.” - Yunuen Hernandez|
Gary Coulter of Silver Spring won an iPad courtesy of Base Technologies.
Car Free Day 2010 Car Free Day Proclamation At its July 21, 2010 Board meeting held at the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, the National Capital Region Transportation Planning Board (TPB) proclaimed Wednesday September 22, 2010 as Car Free Day throughout the Washington Metropolitan Region.
click here ...
City of Bowie The Council of the City of Bowie,Maryland establishing webnesday, September 22,2010 as CAR FREE DAYclick here ...
Prince George’s County Council’s support for declaring September 22, 2010 as Car Free Day click here ...
FourSquare Press Release: Social Networking Tool to Deliver Shoppers to Car Free Day-Friendly Retailers click here ...
Harriet Tregoning on Car Free Day 2010
The Director of the D.C. Office of Planning discusses Car Free Day 2010 and what her office is doing to make it easier to get around all parts of the District without a car.
Michael C. May on Car Free Day 2010
Prince William County Supervisor discusses Car Free Day 2010 and what he is doing to make it easier to get around all parts of the county without a car.
Gabe Klein on Car Free Day 2010
District Department of Transportation Director discusses Car Free Day 2010 and what he is doing to make it easier to get around all parts of the city without a car.
Patrick Wojahn on Car Free Day 2010
College Park City Council Member discusses Car Free Day 2010 and what he is doing to make it easier to get around all parts of College Park without a car.
- 1. WAMU
- Car Free Day Attracts Bikers
- 1. You Tube
- Cadillac lover goes Car Free